Do you want to know a secret? Magic doorknobs exist. The kind that transport you to another time and place. Like the wardrobe from Chronicles of Narnia minus the white witch and talking animals. Instead they bring us back to a time of lofty ceilings, cased openings, and built-in hutches. That’s the power of Emtek’s crystal knobs, they add the charm back into your home.
After updating the guest bedroom, kitchen, and sun room in the Coastal Cottage, I couldn’t help but feel like I skipped a step. The spaces were newly designed yet still donning $4 doorknobs covered in paint. It was like putting on a fancy ball gown but forgetting the underwear! (Figuratively, of course.) While crystal knobs are definitely an investment, they’re also something I’ll have for the rest of my life. That’s right – these Old Town beauties will move when I do, especially since changing them is so easy!
Changing Your Doorknobs
FYI – Door hardware (just like light fixtures) are not permanent! In fact, out of all the upgrades I’ve taught you, knobs are the easiest. Which means you don’t have to live with ugly ones (if you don’t want to) and you can take them with you if you move. Good news for renters and owners alike! Here’s how:
Removing the Old Doorknob
- Using a phillips-head screwdriver, loosen the two screws holding your knob in place. Remove knobs from both sides of the door.
- Unscrew the screws from the latch plate located on the inside edge of the door. Pull out the latch.
- Loosen the screws from the strike plate from the door frame.
Remember to store the hardware in a safe place if you wish to switch back the doorknobs when you move!
Installing the New Doorknob
- Insert new latch, with the flat side facing the door jam. Secure latch and latch plate with screws provided.
- The exterior knob will have a long spindle attached to it, insert this through the latch.
- Align the interior knob (the side with the screws) with the exterior and push them together. Screw into place.
- Screw in new strike plate to door frame.
Get the Look
Knob: Old Town Crystal Clear
Finish: French Antique